Tuesday, June 20, 2017

A Slower Pace



Nothing says a slow life like a front porch 
or even a back porch.
Porches are a great place to slip away  and to read with a nice glass of tea.
It is a great place to unwind and live life at the speed of a rocking chair.
It is a great place to begin your day in prayer and reading.

The front porch is just another room to us. We find ourselves out there often, 
especially on rainy days.  We love listening to the rain on the tin roof.  
The kids like to jump rope or play jacks on the porch.   
If you have a porch, visit it more often, and you will feel your life slowing down.

  Turn off all noises in your home.  
Turn the TV and radio off.
(Thankfully, we don't have a TV)
Turn off all electronics and the phones.
Unplug everything possible.
When my husband arrives home from work,
he shuts the front door to the world,
and he enters into a quite peaceful home.

Use a diffuser in your home:  
I am just starting  to use diffusers in our home, and I love them.  I like to keep lavender oil in mine, and nothing says relax like lavender oil does.  I also like to use natural lavender scented cleaning products.  Breathing in the lavender scent is so calming.

Open up your windows:
Let the sound of nature come in your home. I love the cool breeze coming in the early mornings, while the little ones are sleeping.  It is a peaceful way to spend your mornings.



 Take time to enjoy what ever your hands find to do.  
Whether it is washing dishes by hand, sewing, or working in your garden,
take time to enjoy these things instead of hurrying through those tasks.  
Most importantly stop what your doing and
enjoy holding and spending time with your children.  

Living simple is just a matter of slowing down, saying no to a busy life, 
while finding time to stay home.

What are someways you live life at a slower pace?
Teresa

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your porch!
    One way I love to slow my pace is to plan a menu! Not only to save money but to keep us at home eating at a table and talking to each other. It seems when we are in a restaurant there are too many distractions.{screens} So when I have a plan we are more likely to stay home and enjoy conversation.��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! That is so true, great idea to plan out the meals and stay home. I enjoy conversations around the table as well.

      Delete
  2. You write so eloquently, Teresa. I found myself relaxing just reading your post! The view from your porch is so pretty and I totally get how you can escape from the noise and distraction there. All of the activities with your kids, and family interaction are so important in this day and all of its technology.

    I spend a good deal of time at our lakehouse alone. I haven't turned on the TV since January...nature is perfectly fine for me. I love to watch the birds at the feeder either thorough my windows or at another feeder off my patio (that's my porch!). The sound of the bullfrogs makes me smile as well as the loud honking of geese overhead~ Some days the only time I speak is to my my dogs. Ha!

    We share many beliefs and simple pleasures.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you how sweet of you to say. Your lakehouse sounds wonderful, a place I could escape to as well and often. I believe we do share a lot together in simple pleasures. Enjoy your lake house and the next time you are visiting think of me.

      Delete
  3. Great ideas! I practice a lot of them. One way I deal with rushing is to consiously slow down when I catch myself rushing through things. I visually see Jesus walking calmly through a crowd, and calmly ministering besides rushing from person to person. This has helped me so much in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful idea, there is nothing like focusing on Christ, and His life to help us find the peace in all things.

      Delete
  4. Such a peaceful view from your porch. As you know I love sitting on the porch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. after 34 years my husband finally agreed to no tv! it's only been a few days but.....ahhhhhh. looking forward to the peace and ability to think clearly for a change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the decision of no T.V. You are going to love it! We have not had a T.V. in our home since 1995. We have never missed it! By the way Welcome to Simply Farmhouse, I look forward to getting to know you.

      Delete
  6. I think NO TV is the best way to live... we don't have one in our home either :) Love those clothes hanging out on the line, my husband is going to install a clothesline for me this summer, and I am really looking forward to that! And having a porch to sit and relax on is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! That is great your getting a clothesline you will love it. Porch sitting is the best.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I love your line full of linens drying. I would love to be able to line-dry our linens but we all have environmental allergies that don't enable it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so sorry! Have a blessed day Amber :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a sweet note.