Monday, May 15, 2017

Southern Fern Care


In the south, we love our ferns to be huge, and in the deep south you can purchase them very large.Where I live, they are not so large .   Today, I thought I would share a few tips on how to care for your front porch ferns.

Once a week , take a five gallon bucket fill it full of Miracle Grow and water. Measure out the Miracle Grow according to the package per gallon of water. Take a potted fern and submerge it into the five gallon bucket.  Allow it to sit a few minutes to absorb the Miracle Grow water.Then, pull the fern out and let it drain back into the bucket. Keep repeating this step until all your ferns have been fertilized.

  

Ferns need to be watered once a day, water them until the water starts to run out through the bottom of the pot.  If the weather is very hot, they will need to be watered twice a day, once in the morning and again in the afternoon.


To achieve an greener looking fern, place one to two teaspoons of ebsom salt in a gallon of water. Do this once a month.

These ferns were a Mother's Day gift, so they aren't very big yet. I will keep you updated on how they fill out, as the summer months pass on.  

Can you believe May is half way over?  Goodness, life is quickly passing by.
Hugs from the farmhouse.

5 comments:

  1. I love ferns. Thanks for the tips! I will try the Epsom salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think that flowers were the answer but I've since learned that greenery adds so much more! Ferns are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your tips! My porch ferns are in a bit of shade so I usually water them a few times a week. I'll try soaking them as you say and I love the idea of the Epsom salts!!

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great! I love the Machos with larger leaves for where we live. They can stand the heat & drought much better. Yes, we buy them HUGE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see no ferns up here where we live, I wonder if the nights are too cold for them. I enjoyed your tips about dunking them in Miracle Grow water once a week though. I bet all hanging plants would like such treatment! And I have been using Epsom salts for years in my garden, it is amazing stuff. I plant it in with my tomatoes, and it really makes a difference in how they grow. Hope your ferns have an amazing summer :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a sweet note.